Responsible Travel Tips: Code Green for Divers and Snorkellers
7 tips for divers and snorkelers to minimise their impact on the environment.
1. Help conserve underwater environments by taking part in local cleanups or collecting data for Project AWARE.
2. Choose resorts that properly treat sewage and wastewater and support marine protected areas.
3. Choose operators that use mooring buoys or drift diving techniques, rather than anchors that can damage fragile marine habitats like coral reefs.
4. Never touch coral. Practice buoyancy control skills in a pool or sandy area before diving around coral reefs, and tuck away trailing equipment.
5. Avoid handling, feeding or riding on marine life.
6. Never purchase marine souvenirs.
7. Don’t order seafood caught using destructive or unsustainable practices like dynamite fishing.